Route 93 commenced as a special route for one day only for an international football match at Wembley Stadium on 12 April 1924, running from Putney to Wembley and using NSs. The following weekend was Easter and the route was re-introduced to Wimbledon, and by June 1924 was a daily route.
The next twelve years saw the western end of the route change variously to Sudbury, Harrow Weald, Willesden, Southall and East Acton. Meanwhile, the route gradually extended further south, reaching South Wimbledon in 1927, Cheam (via North Cheam) in 1930, before settling at North Cheam in 1934. The last NSs ran in 1937 and were replaced by STLs. In 1938, the route moved south again, with the northern end cut back to Hammersmith and the southern extended to Epsom.
The well known Sunday service between Morden and Dorking appeared in summer 1939, replacing route 70. Buses were provided by Putney Bridge and Sutton garages, with Putney Bridge introducing the new 2RT2 type during the war; Sutton’s STLs were replaced by D-class Daimlers in 1946, replaced in turn by RTs in 1953. The outbreak of the second world war saw another shortening, from Hammersmith to Putney Bridge Station, which gave the Putney Bridge to Epsom route which operated right through until 1970; the summer service to Dorking last ran in 1960.
In 1970, the section between North Cheam and Epsom was replaced by one-person operated route 293; both 93 and 293 have run virtually unchanged ever since. RTs progressively gave way to Routemasters in the mid-1970s, before the route was converted to one-person operation in 1983.