Did you know ...
... that 100% of people working at the London Bus Museum are volunteers?
Our Volunteer roles include ...
- Stewarding: Our most high-profile role - without volunteers we could not open: stewards meet and greet visitors, provide guidance and information as visitors view the exhibits
- Engineering and Restoration: Restoring and maintaining our historic vehicles to the highest standards in our well-equipped modern workshop
- Archives, Research and Library: Cataloguing our vast collection of bus artefacts on a computer-based archive system
- Driving and Conducting: Driving and conducting our regular bus tours. All our Drivers must be qualified and Conductors trained to ensure the safety of passengers
- Displays and Interpretation: Designing, creating and refreshing Museum displays to inform, educate and entertain our visitors.
- Education and Outreach: Forging links with schools, colleges and other bodies to encourage interest in the Museum and the history of the London Bus
- Events: Organising, planning and managing our annual special events at the Museum and in the wider world on our Heritage Days
- Marketing, Publicity and Social Media: Keeping our visitors, members, supporters and the general public fully updated with everything happening at the Museum
- Shop and Commercial Activities: Processing online orders, maintaining stock and creating retail displays in our Shillibeer Place Museum Shop to generate valuable additional revenue
- Administration, Finance and Information Technology: Many varied roles including IT support and general duties to ensure we maintain our museum accreditation
- Fundraising: Devising and executing effective campaigns to raise funds to support the Museum and the restoration of our historic buses
About volunteering at LBM ...
- We maintain a friendly atmosphere where you can make new friends and/or work with old colleagues. There is no need to be a bus expert - many of us aren't!
- Use your existing skills and experience or learn new skills - we have a wide range of roles and training can be given in many cases.
- Our regular volunteer day is Wednesday but we need stewards every day, and for many roles, you can choose your days and hours. For some roles you can work from home.
- Free refreshments are available in our canteen where homemade cake often features!
- Enjoy free entrance to the Museum (and Brooklands) at all times.
- Other benefits include Shop discounts, free members' days out to transport events and museums, our Christmas volunteer buffet, the annual fish & chip supper + film night, and the social event of the year, the annual dinner at The Silvermere for members and partners.