TD95 was delivered to London Transport in May 1949 and initially allocated to Kinston garage. It was one of the 100 all timber framed Mann Egerton bodied TD’s to follow the earlier 32 Weymann examples. Mann Egerton were known for repairing and overhauling existing vehicles under contract rather than building their own products.
TD95 was withdrawn from service from Edgware garage in October 1962 and stored pending sale. Disposal was to a group of students at the end of 1963 and the vehicle was fitted out with a tent rack with a view to long distance European travel. In the summer of 1964, the vehicle visited Rumania, Hungary and cities such as Copenhagen, Stockholm, Hamburg, Helsinki, Leningrad, Moscow, Warsaw and Berlin. In 1965, the vehicle made a journey to France and Spain and performed faultlessly. The following year, France, Belgium, Germany and cities Prague, Offenbach, Budapest and Belgrade were visited. The vehicle was then sold into preservation in May 1967 and arrived at Cobham in 1978.
The vehicle has been fully restored by the Museums volunteers, who carried out a large amount of re-framing, and mechanical work, with restoration being finished in the late 1990s. The vehicle is kept road worthy, and is a regular rally attender.
|Chassis:||Leyland Tiger PS1|
|Body:||Mann Egerton B30F|
|Engine:||Leyland E181 7.4 litre diesel with manual gearbox|
|Date into service:||1949|
|Date of withdrawal:||1962|
Post a comment