Trust vehicle 702B was one of 10 purpose build articulated units numbered 700B – 709B and was designed to replace the various converted buses which were in use as mobile canteen facilities at remote termini. Introduced in 1948, these units were considered to be redundant by 1959 when the first withdrawals were made and at least one remained in service until 1968.
702B was one of the first two withdrawn, with disposal to Liverpool Corporation Transport along with 709B, followed later by 703B and 706B. Liverpool also used them as mobile canteens with some modification to both the kitchen and seating area until 1974 when it was acquired by Cobham Bus Museum.
702B is the only survivor of the 10 identical vehicles and is one of only a handful of London Transport service vehicles of the early post war era in existence. The restoration of the Bedford O tractor unit was completed in 2002. The trailer has now been taken into our workshop for a full restoration, a large task which will require a similar amount of restoration to a single deck bus.
|Engine:||Bedford 6 cylinder 27.34hp with 4 speed manual gearbox|
|Trailer:||Chassis by Scammell, body by Spurlings|
|Date into service:||1948|
|Date of withdrawal:||1974|